Employment Flash No. 14/2021 – Latest news in the labor law field
21.12.2021 – Latest news in the labor law field regarding the amendments to a series of aspects in the employment field including payment of minimum gross base salary and granting value tickets
The Government Emergency Ordinance no. 130/17.12.2021 regarding certain fiscal-budgetary measures, the extension of certain terms and the amendment and completion of certain legislative acts was published in the Official Gazette no. 1202 of December 17, 2021.
The new legal provisions amend and complete a series of provisions with impact also in the employment law field, out of which we mention the following:
- The legal framework on granting value tickets is amended mainly regarding the following aspects:
- value tickets are exclusively issued electronically;
- the basic content of certain categories of value tickets (e.g. meal tickets, gift tickets, cultural tickets etc.) is amended to be aligned with the exclusive electronic issuance;
- gift tickets are granted exclusively for employees for social expenses, being prohibited for other purposes/categories (exceptions previously applicable being eliminated);
- certain provisions that were expected to enter into force by January 2022 will become applicable only by January 2027;
- meal tickets, cultural tickets, crèche tickets and gift tickets issued on paper until January 31, 2022 remain valid until the expiry date indicated on them.
- The provisions of the Labour Code regarding the national minimum gross base salary are supplemented to include the following mechanisms:
- the minimum gross base salary may be applied for a maximum period of 24 months from the conclusion of the employment contract with an employee;
- after the 24-month period expires, in the conditions from above, the employee shall be allocated with a higher salary than the minimum gross base salary;
- the provisions from above are applicable accordingly in case of employees who already have an employment contract concluded for a period longer than 24 months, receiving the national minimum gross base salary.
The Romanian version of this newsletter is available here.