Gaming industry participants turn to us for expert advice on ad-hoc or ongoing projects that raise sophisticated issues in Romania. This is thanks to our ability to effectively advise on how to translate legal changes in sound business objectives.
We have amassed a varied, yet solid portfolio of clients comprised of both domestic and international companies active in the betting and gaming sector. In addition, we regularly team up with major international law firms concerned with the evolution of the sector, and we act as a preferred local counsel for their clients’ initiatives.
We routinely engage in:
- day-to-day advice on regulatory, tax and corporate–commercial aspects related to gambling activities
- regulatory advice and full assistance with licensing and authorizing process
- acting as appointed “authorized representative” in Romania for online foreign operators
- assistance on advertising issues related to the gambling industry
- structuring and drafting joint venture agreements in relation to organizing and exploiting gambling activities
- regulatory advice related to advertising lotteries and any other gaming/promotional activities
- privacy and AML compliance advice
Day-to-Day Advice on Regulatory, Tax and Corporate–Commercial Aspects Related to Gambling Activities
The evolution of the gaming law in Romania – during the past few years more rapidly than ever – has always been a point of concern for our team, raising the bar for the standards of our work. As a result of this evolution, we are called to assist with the tuning of our clients’ business objectives to the increasingly sensitive regulatory aspects. What we do is deliver in-depth legal analysis and recommendations on all aspects of Romanian gaming legal framework. Complementarily, we facilitate the liaison with the relevant authorities in the sector to obtain official clarifications or interpretations of regulatory decisions, for a coherent and practical alignment of such with our clients’ business decisions.
Our clients include:
- one of the world’s largest international online sports betting providers
- world’s largest online gambling company
- one of the world’s most popular online gaming entertainment and solutions providers
- gaming software companies to include some of the largest providers worldwide
- a leading provider of electronic payment processing services
- the largest online gaming professional association in the world, representing most of the world’s largest licensed and stock market-listed remote gaming operators and software providers
- one of the largest integrated conglomerate of the international gaming industry
- clients of major international law firms, who recommend our firm for our integrated multidisciplinary services, unsurpassed knowledge of Romanian gaming law and practical business insights
Regulatory Advice and Full Assistance with Licensing and Authorization Process
As part of a highly regulated industry, we adhere to the fact that gaming businesses need to place substantial emphasis on maintaining full compliance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Our aim is to guide clients through the design and the setting-up of coherent and efficient legal compliance plans and, furthermore, to assist them with their proper implementation.
We do so starting with representation before the regulatory authorities throughout the entire business setting-up process and obtaining the relevant licenses and authorizations to organize and operate gambling activities and continuing.
Acting as Appointed “Authorized Representative” in Romania for Online Foreign Operators
We trust that our reputation speaks for itself – to support it, we added to our services the representation of your business as appointed “authorized representative” in Romania. We complemented our legal and tax services provided to the gambling industry so you may again focus on the essentials – successfully completing the authorization process and rolling out your gambling activity.
We would be your liaison with the Romanian institutions, such as the National Gambling Office, the tax and data protection authorities, and represent you during the licensing and authorization process. We can act as your representative during the required technical and financial auditing procedures or, where needed, enlist the help and expertise of our dispute resolution colleagues to represent you in court.
Assistance on Advertising Issues Related to the Gambling Industry
We understand that “promoting” your business is part of the package. However, given the substantial limitations imposed by the legal framework, this needs to be done without bringing consequences to your reputation, and thus business operations. We therefore analyze, draft and review your advertising approach with a strict observance of the law to ensure advertising issues do not become the “black sheep” of your business plan.
Structuring and Drafting Joint Venture Agreements in Relation to Organizing and Exploiting Gambling Activities
We refrain from promoting the “one-size-fits-all” policy – if your business interest in a certain market segment, either demographical or geographical, calls for partnering with other providers of products or services, we reflect all legal requirements in the joint venture agreements. We focus on safeguarding your initiatives from potential legal risks and limitations and protecting your business interests from unfair and unlawful treatment by a third party.
Regulatory Advice Related to Advertising Lotteries and any Other Gaming / Promotional Activities
We assess, prepare and review the rules and regulations for promotional and gaming activities that our clients plan to conduct in Romania.
We draw upon the breadth of our firm’s resources to cover all the legislative and regulatory areas that could affect our clients’ business, in order to ensure full compliance with the Romanian legislation on gaming, advertising lotteries, data protection, TV broadcasting, consumer protection, intellectual property or tax.
We focus on structuring our clients’ promotional mechanisms to comply with the requirements of any potential gaming regulator or other relevant authority.