Melania Amuza is a seasoned legal and business professional with high level corporate executive experience in the energy field in power, gas and energy efficiency. She is also a recognized energy expert and an active contributor to the energy policy formulation in Romania.
Melania has sound knowledge of key business processes in the energy field acquired in her role as General Counsel with a leading player in distribution and supply of natural gas and electricity in Romania.
She has a demonstrated track record and solid achievements in business transformation, business environment improvement and policy formulation in energy.
Active for more than 19 years in an international executive corporate environment, Big 4 consultancy and private legal practice, Melania has accumulated extensive experience in articulating business strategies, risk management tools and substantiating decisions by highest levels stakeholders in corporate and institutional environment.
Melania also has significant experience in dealing with international organizations (ICC, EU Commission, EBRD, IFC, MIGA) and national Romanian State authorities, energy professional associations, chambers of commerce, investors’ associations, and diplomatic missions in Romania.
Her expertise covers:
- energy distribution
- energy supply
- energy efficiency
- regulatory affairs management
- business strategy
- risk management
- policy formulation
- stakeholder management
- compliance and regulatory in the energy field
Representative Cases and Transactions
- Executive Legal and Compliance strategic steering and Board advisory as General Counsel to a leading distribution and supplier of natural gas and electricity in Romania during 2013-2017. Steered the critical business and risk advisory side of the group operations in Romania, that integrated gas and electricity distribution and supply
- Steering the cross-border multidisciplinary legal advisory team of a leading supplier and distribution operator of natural gas and electricity in Romania in relation to the highly successful ICC arbitration cases (2015 and 2017) opposing the Romanian State, for claims amounting up to EUR 50 million, that secured the legal status of the Romanian operations under the Electricity Privatisation Agreement of 2005 in favor of the company
- Steering the cross-border multidisciplinary legal advisory team of a leading supplier and distribution operator of natural gas and electricity in Romania in relation to pioneering M&A transactions with an aggregated value of EUR 500 million, resulting in the streamline of the shareholding structure of the Romanian operations, the integration of synergies between electricity and gas businesses, and the optimization of the business equity financing via financial and institutional investors
- Executive Legal and Corporate agenda steering and Board advisory as General Counsel to a leading supplier of tubes and related services for the energy industry in Romania. Managing strategic projects including in privatization, Romania EU accession and impact on steel industry state aid and financial viability plans, in relation to the Romanian Government and several regulators, and to the EU Commission
- Advice to a healthcare services provider, as Legal Director, on legal and commercial aspects of the business in Romania and business strategy, designed to align objectives and strategies to the local business environment. Also in charge with overall advice on the structuring and implementation of the company’s EUR multimillion greenfield investment in Romania
- Advice, as member of leading international and Romanian law firms, on a variety of corporate and commercial matters, to domestic and international companies acting in diverse industries including steel, oil&gas, shipping and terminal operation, IT, telecom, retail, real estate, automotive, as well as on tax sensitive EUR multimillion transactions and comprehensive tax and regulatory audits by the national authorities; also, advised on a substantial number of mergers and acquisitions, including local mergers, cross-border acquisitions, asset and stock acquisitions (both private and listed), joint ventures and privatisations
- University of Bucharest Law School, Law Degree
- University of Buenos Aires, Advanced Management Program
Memberships and Affiliations
- Bucharest Bar
- Energy Expert affiliated with Energy Policy Group (EPG), a Romanian independent and highly reputed think tank, active in energy
- Member of the Energy Strategy of Romania Governmental task force (2016) as an energy expert and contributor to the related Governmental Paper
- “Tackling grid loss”, The Energy Policy Group (EPG), (author) (2017)
- “Energy Efficiency Drivers – Five Lessons for Romania from the IEA Energy Efficiency Report”, The Energy Policy Group (EPG), (author) (2017)